Planning a home remodel doesn’t happen overnight. In order to have a successful project, it is important to go through the necessary steps that will leave you with an end result you take pride in. In this blog, we will cover how to approach this undertaking, what to expect and the importance of hiring a professional to help you tackle this project.
Outlining Your Project With the Help of a Watts Home Remodeling Contractor
Create a project outline to serve as a general guide to help both you and your contractor stay on track and on schedule for the remodel. Before beginning, you and your contractor will need to communicate some important factors:
- Although it may feel obvious, clarify what room you wish to remodel. This is important because this decision will determine the design, style and how this part of the home interacts with other spaces.
- Establishing a style will give the contractor a better idea of how to build the space. The style can be reflected through the architectural structure of the room too, so when it comes to decorating, there is continuity.
- Consider the home’s needs for accessibility and sustainability. Does this home need to be wheelchair friendly? Do you want your home to be as green as possible? These are important factors of your project outline that need to be communicated to your home remodeling contractor.
- Next, you need to go over what materials you want to use. You and your contractor need to choose materials that serve a functional purpose, compliment the rest of your home and provide added value to the room.
- Last, consider any special additions you may want in this room. These additions could be for purely functional reasons or simply style related. If you are remodeling your kitchen, you may want an island! This is something you will need to go establish ahead of time in the floor plan.
Home Remodeling Tips
Just like anything else, before you start to work towards a goal, it is important to clearly establish what you want the end result to look like. Clearly define your objectives for this new space before laying the groundwork. Here are some questions to ask yourself to help you get a good idea of what you want from your home remodeling project:
- What functional benefits are you wanting from this new space?
- What improvements need to be made to ensure this space is an upgrade from what it was before?
- How do I see this new space adding value to my life?
Think of these questions as you move through the process so you can stay on track. A home remodel has a lot of moving parts, reminding yourself of your end goal throughout the process will ensure a more satisfactory result. If you are unsure about what exactly it is you are hoping to get out of this project, find some inspiration! Pinterest is always a great place to start but also familiarize yourself with magazine articles and even some HGTV.
Establishing a Home Remodel Budget
The next order of business is to establish a budget. Once you have found your inspiration for your home remodel, think of how much money this will take and how to budget for this endeavor. The most important step in budgeting is to stick to it! You don’t want to put yourself in a tight spot financially, so set a number and don’t stray from it. That being said, make sure the budget you chose includes unexpected costs that may occur. As much as we would like for things to go exactly as planned, this is unfortunately not always possible.
Additionally, think of how this remodel will affect the value of your home and what the possibilities for return on investment are. Not all home improvements are created equally, so it is important you note what the expected ROI will be for your project. A successful home remodel will give back more money than you put into the project. Some ways to ensure you’re getting your money’s worth, here are some things to consider:
- What’s standard in my community?
- How will this impact my home’s look 10 years from now?
- Is this a sustainable remodel for my home’s current style and build?
What To Expect During Your Home Remodel Project
It’s no secret that construction is noisy. Completing a home remodel can take anywhere from 4-8 months depending on the size of the project. It is during this time you will also be sharing your home with the remodel contractors as well. To maintain order as much order within your home as possible, consider creating work hours that coincide with your day to day life! This way you don’t feel as though have to rearrange your normal routines.
Hiring the Right Home Remodeling Contractor
It is of the utmost importance to hire someone who sees the vision for your home remodel the same as you do. You want a contractor who understands your goals for your home and brings them to life while sticking to your timeline and your budget. Watts Construction enjoys working closely with our clients every step of the way through their home remodel project. As much as we would like to say every project goes as planned, unfortunately, that is not the reality. Our team is prepared to handle every unexpected curveball your home remodel has with grace and ease. Hiring a professional from Watt’s Construction ensures you are getting your money’s worth from your home remodel!
Start planning your home remodel and call us today! 573-657-1940